Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Bottomed Out

We’ve started a new stage in this parenting adventure.

As of this week, we’re officially at the part where Ben tests his limits. We’re at the part where I say, “Ok, 5 minutes to bed time” “Don’t throw it or you’ll go to your room” “Just one show after supper” and he runs away and throw it; or worse – he pushes me and turns the TV back on.

With PL in Toronto, I admit last night I lost my patience.

After a long evening of supper hour battles (“Just one mouthful of rice!”) and 2 time outs – I was done! I picked him up (not easy now that he’s nearly 4 and 45 lbs), carried him up the stairs and straight to bed. He kicked. He screamed. He woke FG. I said, “I’ll slap your bottom.” He kicked and screamed and I did it. I slapped his bottom – one straight flat hand tap -- and I walked out.

I calmly went into the bathroom, brushed my teeth put on my pajamas and looked at myself in the mirror. My head was buzzing. I was sad, angry and exhausted all at the same time. I cried a little and then I heard his voice.

“Mama, Are you there?”

I went in his room and without saying a word he sobbed: “I’m sorry. Mama I didn’t listen to you. I’m sorry now.” I hugged him back and wiped his tears.

“Why are your eyes red, Mama?”

I didn’t tell him I was crying too.