Friday, July 11, 2008

Road Trip Survival

When I was a kid summer vacation meant one thing - road trips!

We'd pile in the station wagon or better yet, the top bunk of the truck camper and my parents would head west. Jack's Pond, Terra Nova, Eastport, Stephenville, Codroy Valley.

No portable DVD players for my sister and me. So, on a Canada Day road trip to Fogo Island, PL and I did as our parents did. Here's a few must haves for pre-schoolers.

Make a mixed tape er... CD -- ours was called "Wake me you before you Fogo" and included some of our favourites and a few new ones. Check out They Might be Giants "Alphabet of Nations" Memorizing this kept them busy from Clarenville to Gambo.

Sticker & colouring books - always a hit. We also picked up kids magazines like Chirp and Nick Jr. I added new markers with attached caps to boot.

Snack bags - a few Smarties (thank you Hodgie) never hurt anyone.

Games - I Spy, 20 questions, Quand je vais au marche..., name that tune work well for pre-schoolers.

Sing a song - or two, or three.

New toy - for FG it was Belle Polly Pocket. For Ben it was Spiderman. Leave it in the packaging and let them open it. That's half the fun.

Life is a highway. Have fun on the road this summer.

1 comment:

Bill said...

Hey, it's been three months since Banff, and I finally wandered over to your blog. Just thought I'd say hi.

Hi.