Thursday, April 17, 2008

Sorry seems to be the hardest word...

At least for FG.

Yesterday, when I picked her and Ben up at daycare, she was standing in the corner. "She's there for a reason," Madame K said.

She had pushed another child and refused to say she was sorry. She had been there 15 minutes and still would not budge. Gentle, I thought. She's headstrong!

We waited. "No I'm sorry. No TV after school." Normally that works. But nothing.

When the little girl's parents came to get her and she drove away, FG stood in the parking lot and melted down. Too late. And she knew it.

At home (when she realized I was serious about no TV and the sobs stopped) she clearly said, "Tomorrow I say sorry to her, ok? No sorry. No shows."

I was proud of her. It had registered. On the drive up this morning she repeated it. "I have to say I'm sorry."

But this morning, as we stood outside the classroom door -- nothing. She said she wasn't going to say sorry.

"OK," I said. "Then no TV."

Sorry does seem to be the hardest word. Check out post from May 6, 2006.

No comments: