Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Warning: my kitchen may contain traces of peanuts


Not those Peanuts, "the peanut" -- that highly-allergenic nut that my kids (and husband) would lick up by the tablespoonful! Now, it's a banned substance. Good grief!

Seriously though, some kids can have a scary reaction to it and I don't mean to make light of this.

But I was on Radio Noon yesterday in defense of the lowly nut.

Well, not just that nut but all banned food substances -- eggs, nuts, tuna, banana, kiwi, strawberry to name a few. Even though I would never send any of these items to school, my kitchen isn't peanut free. Traces of nuts are bound to be found on everything. So banning them only solves part of the problem.

Instead of making a growing list of banned foods, maybe we should get at the root of the problem. A little more research and a lot more education on the food allergies. The media doesn't help either. Think of the sensationalism around the Quebec teen who died of the peanut kiss only for the coroner to reveal it was asthma-related (traces of marijuana were found in her system).

Not the nut's fault after all.

A farmer called into say, that the reason why kids have so many allergies these days is that they don't play in enough dirt. I tend to agree.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Genial post and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Easily I to but I contemplate the list inform should have more info then it has.